Sunday, 22 May 2011

Nana Pauline

My Nana knitted all her life and it was her alongside my Mammy who taught me how to knit. I took to it very well and soon became involved with creating whatever I was able to from a young age. At the time I did not follow patterns, nor know of their existence and only in my early twenties did I truly become aware of the possibilities of knitting. 

Nana would knit all the time, mainly jumpers for herself and cushion covers adorned with knitted flowers (these were my favourite). Sadly before she passed away she knitted a fluffy scarf for Mammy, my two sisters and I. It was heart breaking to see because her knitting had become wonky and holes appeared where they would not have normally. It was clear that she was unwell yet she carried on knitting until she was no longer able to. 

Two years have since passed by and it seemed right to carry on her talent and clear love of knitting. I only discovered Etsy.com about a year ago but had Nana known about it she would have been so excited that she could sell items she had knitted. In memory of Nana I have set up a knitting shop, Homely Handmade (no sparks of imagination with the shop name as I was eager to set up!) I have filled it with her own creations that the family are happy to see go to a good home, alongside new lines of items that Mammy and I are currently working on. I am particularly inspired by her handmade knitted flower cushions and plan to replicate these and design them according to the different seasons. Our knitting shop can be found on the above navigation bar under Curiosity Shop or you can click here.

                          
                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment